Fennel soup with garlic
Photo by Michael Craig
- Put the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add the onion and celery and cook until translucent.
- Add the chopped fennel and season with salt.
- Cook gently for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the potatoes, garlic and the ground fennel and peppercorns.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40-45 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth with a blender. Return to the pot.
- Warm through, add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Or chill and serve cold.
- Sprinkle the cheese equally between the toasted ciabatta.
- Put into a preheated oven 180 degC until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with soup. This soup can be reheated the next day.