Five-spice Venison with Vegetable Fritters
|¾ cup||Red wine|
|400 g||Venison medallions, farm-raised|
|2 tsp||Chinese five spice|
|1 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
- Marinate venison in red wine for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Pat dry then sprinkle with five-spice - reserve the wine.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Pan-fry medallions for about four to five minutes, turning often, until medium-rare.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for four to five minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the fritter ingredients - except the oil - adding enough milk so the mixture just falls off a spoon.
- Pan-fry heaped tablespoons of the vegetable mixture in the oil turning once one side is golden.
- Heat the wine in the pan in which the venison was cooked.
- Stir in the mustard and sugar then simmer for one minute.
- Serve over the medallions.
- Serve the vegetable fritters as a side dish.