Vanilla-poached pears with vanilla mascarpone ice-cream
For the pears
- Bring water and sugar to the boil.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Place seeds and the pod in the syrup.
- Simmer for five minutes. Add the pears and poach, turning once, until tender - about 10 minutes.
- Lift the pears into a serving bowl. Boil the syrup and lemon juice for five minutes then pour over the pears.
- Remove vanilla pod. Cool. Chill until ready to serve.
For the ice-cream
- Whisk the ingredients together, until well blended.
- Freeze in an icecream maker or place in a bowl, cover and freeze until almost solid.
- Beat well then return to the freezer.