Twice-cooked cheese and herb souffles
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease four ramekins, place into a baking dish with sides.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, add the milk and stir until thick and boiling. Cool slightly.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then work in the cheeses and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whip the egg whites until thick. Stir in a large tablespoon to soften the mixture, then quickly but gently stir in the remainder.
- Spoon into the ramekins, and smooth the tops. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Tip the souffles on to baking paper and leave until just before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the souffles in an ovenproof dish, leaving space between them.
- Pour the cream over, return to the oven for 5-10 minutes. They will puff up and brown. Serve immediately while hot.