( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Melt half the butter in a heavy-based frying pan until hot. Sear the fillet all over and set aside until completely cold.
- Place the onion, garlic, mushrooms and thyme into a food processor and pulse until completely chopped.
- Add the rest of the butter to the frying pan then the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Cook until reduced, then add the wine and continue cooking until all evaporated. Remove and let cool.
- Lay the prosciutto on to a large piece of plastic wrap, overlapping the sides.
- Spread the mushroom mix down the middle, place the beef on top of the mushrooms.
- Using the plastic wrap, roll the prosciutto around the beef and form a log. Refrigerate.
- One hour before cooking, remove the meat from the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- On a lightly floured board, roll the puff pastry large enough to be able to wrap around the fillet and fold in the ends.
- Place meat in the middle, fold in the ends, then roll. Seal edges with a little water.
- Brush with a little egg. Place into the oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and lightly browned.
- A larger piece of meat may take 35 minutes.
- Serve hot with vegetables.