Tom yum soup with coconut milk (tom kha)
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
You can make this soup with fish or prawns or as a vegetarian option by substituting the chicken stock with fish or vegetable stock. A few softened rice noodles will extend this dish.
|4 cups||Chicken stock, up to 6 cups|
|1 stick||Lemongrass, minced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|2||Red chillies, finely sliced, or substitute with 1/2 tsp dried crushed chilli|
|3||Kaffir lime leaves|
|1 large handful||Button mushrooms, sliced thinly|
|2||Chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips|
|½ can||Coconut milk|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh lime juice|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|⅓ cup||Fresh coriander, roughly chopped|
- Pour stock into a deep cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemongrass and boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli, lime leaves, and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips and simmer until cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the coconut milk plus fish sauce and lime juice.
- Test the soup for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce instead of salt.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander.
Tip: You could also add other strips of vegetables such as broccoli, carrot, spring onion, snow peas and beans.