Honey and lavender madeleines
Here’s a treat from renowned patissier Adriano Zumbo (yes he of the tortuous Australian Masterchef challenges). It’s a recipe that fits well with our winter welfare issue because it is inspired by Adriano’s work with Vicks and their new VapoNaturals and his belief that all things should taste great, even if you are feeling under the weather.
Vicks VapoNaturals are the cough lozenge for those who like things to taste good and Adriano has picked up on flavours such as lemon menthol and honey for these just-as-soothing dainty madeleines. The lavender adds that little touch of Zumbo magic. If you don’t have any you can leave it out, and any flavour honey will work.
Makes 40 small madeleines.
- Heat the oven to 190degC. In a medium-sized saucepan, cook the butter to a light brown colour (be careful with this, you want it brown and nutty, not burnt) and let it cool.
- Sieve the icing sugar and flour into a bowl, then add the almond meal. Add the egg whites and mix well.
- Strain the burnt butter into the lavender honey, and then combine this mixture with the icing sugar mixture. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
- Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe into greased madeleine moulds and bake for 5 minutes.
- Rotate the tray and bake at 160degC for 7 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.