( SERVES 40 )
Photo by Tyson Sutton
Grissini is very easy to make and can be stored in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Makes 40-50 sticks.
- Heat oven to 175C.
- Mix water with the yeast and olive oil. Pour slowly over the flour and salt while mixing it to a rough dough. Knead for 5 minutes or until firm and smooth. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and prove in a warm place for one hour or until twice its original size.
- Once proved, roll out so the dough is 1/2 cm thick all over. Cut into strips 2cm wide.
- Fold each strip over in half one at a time (so they’re now 1 cm wide) and roll with both hands, stretching the dough to twice its original length. Cut in half and place on a baking paper lined tray 1/2 cm apart.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with cumin gouda and walnut, caramelised onion and rocket pesto.