Fruit sponge cake
If you are a keen bottler, chances are you are looking for easy desserts to use up all those peaches and plums you preserved in the summer.
- Stewed Fruit: Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer.
- When the fruit softens, take it off the heat. (You want the fruit to hold its shape as it has another 30 minutes in the oven.)
- Sponge: Heat your fruit in a pot and keep it warm while you make the sponge.
- Whisk an egg in a warm mixing bowl. When light and fluffy, add sugar and beat well.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to the mixture alternately with milk, bit by bit, to stop it curdling.
- Stir until smooth. Put hot fruit into a baking dish.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla essence to sponge mixture and spoon it on top of the hot fruit.
- Bake in 180 degoC oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.