( SERVES 8 )
These croquetas are crunchy outside and creamy inside.
- Make the roux for the croquetas.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add onion and, over a low heat, cook for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook slowly for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and gently mix through the mixture. It will look crumbly but that is fine, just let it colour.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Place back on the heat, add stock and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in chicken and season with black pepper. Cover and cool for at least 2 hours.
- Using your hands roll the cooled mixture into little logs about 6cm long.
- Put the extra flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs into bowls on your bench and lightly toss the croquetas in flour, dip into egg and then breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking paper-lined tray and cool in the fridge for an hour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan – you need to use enough oil to fill one third of the pan.
- Drop a little bread cube into oil and when that browns in 20 seconds you are good to go.
- Cook the croquetas in batches for about 3-4 minutes, turning until golden.
- Drain well and serve with toothpicks.