Japanese pancakes. You could make smaller ones and serve two or three a person.
|4 cups||Cabbages, very thinly sliced|
|4||Spring onions, diced|
|200 g||Chicken, any cooked meat, poultry, seafood or bacon, optional|
|½ cup||Water, cold|
|2 Tbsp||Canola oil|
- Place vegetables and meat (if using any) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Whisk eggs and cold water in a bowl. Add flour and salt.
- Whisk until smooth and then pour over vegetables. Stir until well combined.
- Divide oil between two 23cm frying pans. Heat on medium, until shimmering.
- Divide vegetable mixture between the two pans, making two pancakes. Pile mixture high then flatten out top.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes.
- Check under pancake to see if it is brown, then flip.
- Press down to compress the vegetables.
- Cook, uncovered, until the second side is browned and centre cooked.
- Combine sauce ingredients.
- Transfer okonomiyaki to plates and drizzle with sauce.