Smoked fish chowder
- Put the milk, parsley, peppercorns and chillies into a large heavy-based saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, then add the fish and simmer for 3-4 minutes until it becomes flaky.
- Remove the fish from the milk. Strain the milk and discard the peppercorns, chillies and parsley.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the butter. When it’s sizzling, add the onion and potato and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Add the wine, stirring constantly, and allow to bubble.
- While still stirring, pour the milk into the pan and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally until thickened – about 6-8 minutes.
- Flake the fish and return it to the pan, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir in the parsley, then ladle into warmed bowls.