- Roll out the pastry into one large sheet and egg-wash it.
- Mentally divide it into three lengthwise.
- Place a third of the cheese into the centre third of the pastry and add a little cayenne, a pinch of salt, a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of caraway seeds and fold over one of the sides.
- Heap just over half the remaining cheese on to the pastry you have just folded, and fold over the final flap of pastry to make a thick sandwich.
- Roll this out to the same dimensions again and divide lengthwise into 12 equal strips (each one just over 1 inch wide by 9 inches long).
- Twist each strip and hand roll on your table (taking care to keep the pasty twisted) until you have a straw about 12 inches long by about ¾ inch wide.
- Transfer to a baking tray covered with baking parchment.
- Repeat with each strip of pastry. They need to be placed on the tray so that there is a gap between each straw because they will puff up when cooking.
- Egg-wash and sprinkle with remaining cheese, more cayenne (if you like), caraway seeds and salt. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook in a hot 200 degC oven until golden.