Vanilla bean crepes with roasted pears and vanilla sugar
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Warm the butter, salt and milk until the butter has melted. Put the flour into a bowl and make a well, add the vanilla.
- Break the eggs into the bowl and slowly whisk into the flour with the warm milk mixture until incorporated and smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a small baking dish. Halve the pears, remove the cores, and then slice. Dot with butter, add the brandy, zest and juice and sprinkle with 2 tsp of vanilla sugar. Bake for an hour.
- Heat a frying pan or crepe pan. Wipe with buttered baking paper. The crepe mix should have the consistency of cream, add a little milk if necessary. Ladle some mix into the pan and swirl to cover. After 1 minute, flip and cook for another minute. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat the process.
- Serve the crepes folded with the pears in-between. Sprinkle with more vanilla sugar and serve with whipped cream.