( SERVES 6 )
This traditional Italian casserole is delicious. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes or polenta.
|2 kgs||Shanks, beef, cut about 4cm thick|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cups||Pasta sauce, tomato & basil or similar|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|1 tsp||Dried basil|
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC.
- Heat the oil in a casserole suitable for the hob and oven or in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Brown the shanks in batches. Remove and season with salt.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the pan and stir-fry for about 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the pasta sauce, wine and basil. Return the shanks to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the gremolata.
- Remove the shanks to a warm platter.
- Skim any fat from the cooking liquid. Bring the liquid to the boil and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Spoon the sauce over the shanks and sprinkle with gremolata.