The Guinness can be replaced with a good beef stock
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan.
- Saute the sausages on low heat until browned all over. Set aside.
- Saute the onion in the oil, stir in the sugar and cook, until softened.
- Add the fennel or celery and the bacon.
- Cook, stirring, until the bacon is cooked and then return the sausages to the pan.
- Whisk the Guinness together with the soup mix, tomato paste, honey and thyme. Carefully pour over the sausages.
- Add the mushrooms, stir well, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Thin with a little hot water if necessary.
- Great served on mashed potato and garnished with chopped parsley.