Sponge cake with cream and jam
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Set oven to 180C.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm round tin with baking paper, grease the sides and dust with flour.
- Beat egg whites until thick and add sugar a quarter at a time.
- Add egg yolks and beat until mixed.
- Sift the flours and baking powder and add to the eggs and stir gently until well combined.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes until, when touched, it springs back. Do not overcook, or your cake will be dry.
- Cool cake in tin. Remove, slice horizontally through the centre and fill with jam and cream.
- Replace the top and dust with icing sugar.