White chocolate cupcakes with lime and passionfruit curd and swiss meringue buttercream
( MAKES 18 )
Photo by Michael Craig
This fab recipe was given to me by Julie Christie - it's the best one I have used.
|150 g||White chocolate|
|1¾ cups||Caster sugar|
|¾ cup||Self raising flour|
|½ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
Lime and passionfruit curd
Swiss meringue butter cream
- Set oven to 150C.
- Combine chocolate, butter, sugar and milk in a heatproof bowl and place over a pot of simmering water.
- Stir until combined and sugar dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sifted flour, cornflour, vanilla and beaten eggs. Don't overmix.
- Spray 18 large cupcake cases with cooking spray. Fill the cases to just over half full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Set aside on a cooling rack.
- Place lime juice, passionfruit, sugar and butter in a heatproof bowl and place over pot of simmering water.
- Mix until combined and sugar dissolved. Remove from heat.
- When the curd mix is warm, but not hot (you should be able to touch it), whisk in the beaten egg and place back over a simmering pot.
- Whisk this mix until a smooth and relatively thick consistency is achieved. Set aside to cool.
The swiss meringue
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a mixer. Give this a quick whisk until whites are frothy.
- Place bowl over pot of simmering water and, using an electric whisk on mid-high, whisk mix until white and glossy and the sugar is dissolved (you can test this by rubbing a little of the mix between two fingers and checking for sugar grains).
- Remove from simmering pot and place in stand mixer. Continue to whisk with whisk attachment for another 5 minutes.
- Slowly begin adding butter cubes, one or two at a time. Wait for the butter to be completely combined before adding more - continue until all the butter is added. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Set buttercream aside.
- To assemble, use a teaspoon to remove a 2cm diameter scoop of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, this wants to be about 2cm deep too.
- Once this is done, spoon curd into the hole created in the cupcake until it is even with the top of the cupcake. Use a piping bag and your choice of nozzle to pipe the buttercream on top of your cupcakes.