The good life: Summer vegetable recipes
( SERVES 2 )
With fresh summer veges in plentiful supply, it's the ideal time to make a colourful vegetable stew.
Simple summery vegetable stew
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Red capsicum, or yellow|
|1||Salt and pepper|
Late summer vegetable tagine
Vegetable tagine with fish
SIMPLE SUMMERY VEGETABLE STEW
- Finely dice the onion and garlic. Put in a heavy saucepan with the olive oil and fry over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Cut the core, seeds and white membranes from the capsicum and cut into chunks. Add to the saucepan and continue to fry over a low heat.
- Cut the kamo kamo in half, peel if the skin has hardened, scoop out the seeds and cut into chunks. Add to the saucepan.
- Cut the kernels from the corn cob and add. Season with salt and a little pepper.
- Rest a lid over the saucepan so that it is partly covered and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- You should not need to add any liquid to the saucepan.
- When the vegetables are tender, blanch the tomatoes, peel and cut into chunks before adding to the saucepan, then cook for a further 5 minutes until the tomatoes release their juices.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
LATE SUMMER VEGETABLE TAGINE
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Pile the prepared vegetables, except the tomatoes, into a large bowl and toss with the thyme leaves, salt and pepper, honey, olive oil and water.
- Spread in the tagine or baking dish, cover and put in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are partly cooked.
- Remove from the oven, lift the lid and add the tomatoes. Replace the lid, return the tagine to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes until the vegetables are all very tender.
- Remove from the oven, lift the lid, trickle with a little olive oil so that the vegetables glisten and scatter with fresh herbs.
VEGETABLE TAGINE WITH FISH
- Have ready 400g fresh fillets of reasonably firm fish, such as warehou, trevally or groper.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt. When the vegetables are ready, remove the tagine from the oven, lift the lid and arrange the seasoned fish fillets on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with a little olive oil. Put the lid back on the tagine and return it to the oven for another 8 minutes until the fish is cooked. Scatter with fresh green herbs.