Banana and caramel whoopie pies
Photo by Thinkstock
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|⅔ cup||Banana, mashed|
|½ cup||Sour cream|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
Caramel creme filling
- To make whoopie pies, set oven to 180C. Line 4 baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat sugar and butter together until pale and creamy, add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Add half each of banana, sour cream and sifted dry ingredients, stir until just combined and then add remaining half and mix until just combined.
- Place mix into a piping bag with a round nozzle. Pipe mix on to baking trays, approx. 4cm in diameter; leave a 4-5cm space between each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes, preferably swapping baking tray positions after 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- To make Caramel Creme, place cream cheese into a bowl and use an electric beater to whisk until soft and smooth.
- Add butter, vanilla and icing sugar and beat until combined. Take the caramel and swirl through lightly, ensuring it isn't completely mixed and has a nice swirled effect.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and place in a small flat dish or saucer.
- To assemble, place half of the whoopie pies flat side up on the bench.
- Using a piping bag pipe the Caramel Creme filling to cover flat surface, leaving a 5mm edge around the rim uncovered.
- Sandwich this with another whoopee pie, and then roll the rim in the cinnamon sugar.