Chocolate whoopie pies with berry compote creme
Photo by Thinkstock
Chocolate Whoopie Pies
|70 g||Cocoa powder|
|240 g||Plain flour|
|1½ tsp||Baking soda|
|100 g||Butter, softened|
|175 g||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
Berry Compote Creme
- To make the chocolate whoopie pies: Set oven to 180 degC and line 3 trays with baking paper.
- Beat sugar and butter together until pale and creamy, add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients, stir until just combined, and then add remaining half and mix until just combined.
- Place mix into a piping bag with a round nozzle. Pipe mix on to baking trays, approx. 4cm in diameter; leave a 4-5cm space between each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes, preferably swapping baking tray positions after 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- To make Compote Creme: Place cream cheese into a bowl and use an electric beater to whisk until soft and smooth.
- Add butter, vanilla and icing sugar and beat until combined.
- Take the Compote and swirl through lightly, ensure this isn't completely mixed and has a nice swirled effect.
- To assemble, place half of the whoopie pies flat side up on the bench.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the Compote Creme filling to cover flat surface, leaving a 5mm edge around the rim uncovered.
- Sandwich this with another whoopee pie. Decorate the top with icing sugar.