No-fuss beef stew
Placing in the oven for a few hours makes the meat tender and this method is ideal for a slow cooker as well.
|500 g||Stewing beef|
|150 g||Bacon, diced|
|4||Garlic cloves, sliced|
|100 g||Button mushrooms|
|1||Carrot, large, peeled and finely diced|
|1||Celery stalk, sliced|
|1 tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|1 tsp||Marmite, or gravy browning|
|3 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped, optional|
|1½ cups||Red wine|
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Place the first nine ingredients in a medium-sized casserole dish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in the flour and dried herbs and toss it all around until everything is lightly coated with flour.
- Next, pour in the wine and browning or Marmite. Give it a good stir, then cover the casserole with a lid or tin foil.
- Place into the oven on the centre shelf and leave for 2½ hours or so, until the beef is absolutely tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning of salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in the parsley and enjoy.