|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|600 g||Paddle crabs, or frozen crab, shell on, chopped into small pieces|
|1 medium||Onion, finely diced|
|1||Carrot, roughly chopped|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|1 cup||White wine|
|1 cube||Fish stock|
|1||Orange, freshly juiced and 3 strips of peel|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|1 tsp||Caraway seed|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 pinch||Dried chilli|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a high heat. Add the first five ingredients and cover. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the white wine and then all the remaining ingredients scraping up any bits from the bottom of the saucepan. Simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Using a hand-held blender stick or food processor, quickly and roughly blitz the soup, including the crab shells, for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Push the pulpy soup through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Be sure to get as much moisture through the sieve as possible. Discard the remains caught in the sieve.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the creamed crab, gently mix all the ingredients together. Place a heaped teaspoon in the bottom of each bowl and pour in the hot bisque to serve.