Salmon cakes with pickled fresh cucumber ribbons
Made with agria potatoes, panko breadcrumbs and smoked salmon, this is a good brunch or easy dinner option.
|2||Agria potatoes, large, boiled|
|2||Spring onions, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Tarragon, fresh, chopped|
|1||Lemon, for juice and zest|
|1 to taste||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|250 g||Smoked salmon, (hot) or grilled salmon, flaked|
|2 cups||Panko breadcrumbs|
|2 Tbsp||Cooking oil, lightly flavoured (grapeseed)|
|1 to taste||Parsley, and lemon wedges for garnish|
Pickled Fresh Sucumber Ribbons
SALMON CAKES WITH PICKLED FRESH CUCUMBER RIBBONS
- Mash the cooked potatoes with the butter in a bowl. Add the spring onion, tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
- Mix well until chunky but combined. Add one of the eggs, season with plenty of salt and pepper, then mix well before folding in the flaked salmon. (A food processor can be used to get to this stage, but pulse the machine instead of running the motor continuously, as you want to avoid creating a smooth, almost emulsified texture.)
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 12-15 small patties.
- Beat the remaining eggs in a small bowl, and put the panko crumbs onto a shallow plate.
- Dip each cake into the egg mixture, then roll it in the crumbs to cover and coat evenly. Place on a clean plate, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- To cook the cakes, melt a little butter in some olive oil in a heavy frying pan and gently cook them until golden on both sides. Serve at once garnished with parsley and extra lemon wedges, and the following cucumber ribbons.
PICKLED FRESH CUCUMBER RIBBONS
- Peel the cucumber very thinly, then discard the peel.
- Use a potato peeler to create large ribbons of cucumber, working your way around the edges and avoiding the seedy interior.
- Put the ribbons into a glass or stainless-steel bowl with the dill seeds.
- Combine the sugar, salt and vinegar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the cucumber. Add some ice cubes to ensure the cucumber remains crisp.
- Leave for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, pour off the excess liquid and place the ribbons alongside the salmon cakes.
- Serves 4-6 for lunch or brunch.
- Wine match: chardonnay.