- Find a baking dish (Pyrex or similar) which will hold eight cups or two litres of liquid. I prefer to use a glass dish because you can see how the pudding is cooking.
- Put the rice and sultanas into the dish. Scald the four cups of milk (this means just before it simmers and not boiling).
- Pour this over the mix and then add salt, sugar, butter, lemon rind and vanilla. Stir together.
- Grate some nutmeg over the top then place in a 160 degC oven. Bake for about 1½ to 2 hours. I left mine until it was quite caramelised and golden.
- Check every 20 minutes and give it a stir. If it starts to dry out, add a little more milk.