Condensed milk ice cream
To speed up the process, put the tin of condensed milk and cream in the fridge before starting
- Blend the condensed milk, water and vanilla essence and pour into a shallow tray.
- Chill for five minutes in the freezer (I used a Tupperware slice holder which is 30cm long and 5cm deep, and has the advantage of having a lid to put on later).
- Whip the cream until thick, but not stiff. Pour the chilled milk mixture into a bowl and fold the whipped cream into it.
- Return the mixture to your tray and freeze until the outsides start to ice up.
- Put it back into the bowl and beat until mushy, but not completely melted.
- The original recipe then tells you to freeze until firm, but I found that the mixture separated if you do this. Instead, over the hour or so it takes to freeze properly, pull it out, put in the bowl and beat a few times to keep it airy and light before it freezes properly. I used a balloon whisk in order to keep it light and airy
Suggestions for flavourings
Coconut: Add 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
Raspberry: Add a tin of raspberries (strained) and 2 Tbsp lemon juice
Custard: Add 1/5 Tbsp custard powder
Passionfruit: Add 4 Tbsp passionfruit pulp
Pineapple: Add 227g tin crushed pineapple
Chocolate: Add 1 Tbsp cocoa
Taken from the Anchor book