Upside-down quince cake
Photo by Fiona Andersen
This cake uses poached quinces - click here for poaching instructions.
- Heat oven to 170C. Line a 28cm cake tin (with removable base) with baking paper.
- Drain quinces, reserving poaching liquor. Place quinces around the bottom of the cake tin.
- Place butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and thick. Reduce speed and add eggs, one by one, before adding vanilla and cream.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and add to the creamed mixture. Mix on slow speed for 2 minutes before beating on high for another 30 seconds.
- Pour batter evenly over quinces and bake for 1 hour or until just cooked. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before turning out. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream and a good drizzle of quince syrup.