( SERVES 6 )
With Mother’s Day in mind, my thoughts turned to a couple of desserts that are favourites of both my mother and me. Both use gelatine and are the stuff of dreams. My grandmother was a dab hand at whisking up Spanish cream, an integral part of my childhood, and I plan to make it for my mother next weekend.
- Soak the gelatine in 1 cup of milk. Put the remaining milk in a saucepan with the split vanilla bean and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar to a cream, adding a pinch of salt.
- Pour the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Return to the saucepan, add the gelatine and milk mixture, and stir well over the heat until the mixture thickens. Do not allow to boil as the mixture will curdle.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then fold into the milk mixture while still warm. Set aside until almost cool but not setting. Gently pour into a crystal or cut glass bowl to refrigerate overnight until chilled and set.
- To serve, decorate the top with passionfruit or other fresh fruit.
- Serve with runny cream.