Jo's Kitchen: Macaroni and cheese
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Our junior food writer, Paige Thompson, is in the kitchen with a dish kids of all ages can make for mum.
Adding chorizo to the macaroni and cheese gives the dish much more flavour. A while ago Mum bought a chorizo sausage from La Cigale French Market and at that stage I was practically obsessed with macaroni and cheese, so I added it. Now, chorizo of any kind is always added to my macaroni and cheese. You can also add vegetables, such as broccoli; in fact you can modify it in lots of ways to suit what your mum likes.
- Fill a big pot up with water, add a pinch of salt and put on a high heat, with the lid on.
- Put a small pot on a medium heat and melt the butter. As soon as the butter is melted, take off the heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and stir well.
- Add the milk, a little bit at a time. After each addition, stir constantly and make sure it stays smooth. Stir until you have made a smooth paste.
- After all the milk is added, place back on a medium heat, keep stirring and never step away from the pot to keep the mixture from going lumpy, If lumps do form, use a whisk and add a little more milk until the sauce is smooth again.
- Once the sauce is boiling, add the cheese, half at a time, stirring well after each addition until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, add your pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, turn the sauce down to the lowest heat.
- Put a small frying pan on a medium heat, add the chorizo and fry for 5 minutes or until the outside of the sausage pieces are crispy.
- Add the chorizo to the cheese sauce and mix through.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain well, then add to the cheese sauce.
- Serve with extra cheese and a salad on the side.