Almond and hazelnut praline
Photo by Tamara West
Use these crumbled pieces of praline as dessert fillings or crunchy toppings or break into bite-sized pieces to eat as is. Makes 2 cups.
- Roast almonds and hazelnuts until lightly toasted, (10-15 minutes).
- Cool, and rub the shells from the hazelnuts. Roughly chop the nuts. Add sea salt, and set aside.
- In a saucepan stir to combine water with caster sugar.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer, without stirring, until it turns a light caramel colour, (7-10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir the nuts into the mixture.
- Tip out onto a tray lined with baking paper, and quickly spread it out with a spoon while it’s still hot. Leave to set.
- Enclose in baking paper and bang with a rolling pin to break into small pieces. Store in an airtight jar.