Flash-fried salmon and watercress salad
Photo by amara West
Thai flavours make a light dinner fresh and zingy.
- Stir dressing ingredients together until sugar dissolves.
- Place salmon in a china or glass dish with fish sauce. Turn once or twice to coat, and set aside for 20 minutes. (Fish sauce helps salmon caramelise when cooked.)
- Toss pear and shallot with lime juice in a salad bowl. Pile watercress and herbs on top.
- Crush peanuts slightly using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Once the tip of a wooden chopstick bubbles when dipped in the oil, use a slotted spoon to carefully lower the salmon into the oil. Let it cook for a minute or 2 before carefully turning it over. After another minute of cooking, remove to a plate covered with layers of kitchen paper.
- Pour most of the dressing over salad and toss to combine. Break salmon into large chunks, discarding skin, and add to salad. Spoon remaining dressing over salmon. Sprinkle peanuts on top.