Photo by Babiche Martens
The mousse can easily be spooned into glasses or bowls, but making a very simple, though impressive, chocolate case to serve it in gives the mousse that extra touch. Add a little alcohol, or chopped pistachio or macadamia nuts for a taste of decadence. Remove your mousse from the fridge 15 minutes before serving to soften it slightly and top with grated chocolate, or berries when in season.
- Line a 20cm round tin with tinfoil.
- Place 200g chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over hot water. Melt until completely smooth.
- Spoon it into your lined tin. With the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate evenly, creating a shell about 2mm thick. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Place the remainder of the chocolate, with the butter, in a heatproof bowl over hot water and melt until smooth.
- Remove from the heat, let it cool for a few minutes and stir in the egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites until you have soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites.
- Whip cream lightly. Gently fold the cream and egg whites into the chocolate, until well combined.
- Pour into chocolate box. Cover and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
- Remove from the fridge and carefully take off the tinfoil. Grate extra chocolate over before serving.