Lasagne with pumpkin and sausage
Photo by Sophie Barclay
|500 g||Pumpkin, sliced and baked|
|500 g||Pork sausages, free range, fried and sliced|
|½ cup||Fresh herbs, (dill, chives and parsley)|
|1||Lemon, grated zest only|
|100 g||Cheese, finely grated|
- Method: Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- To make the béchamel sauce: Tip the milk into a saucepan, add the bay leaf and bring to simmering point.
- Turn off the heat and allow the milk to infuse with the bay leaf for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and stir in the flour. Allow to gently sizzle until the mixture becomes straw–coloured.
- Slowly add the infused milk, stirring constantly.
- When all the milk is added and the sauce has slightly thickened add salt and a little nutmeg to taste.
- To assemble the lasagne: Take a deep dish (35cm x 25cm) and spread 2 tablespoons of the béchamel sauce across the bottom.
- Lay 3 sheets of the pasta on this.
- Spread half the pumpkin on top of the pasta and cover with half the sausage slices and some of the herbs and a little lemon.
- Top with one third of the béchamel sauce.
- Lay 3 more sheets on top of this layer and repeat the layering with the remaining pumpkin, sausage, herbs and lemon, covering with half the remaining béchamel.
- Cover with the final 3 sheets of pasta, and spread the rest of the béchamel to cover the pasta.
- Sprinkle the cheese over this.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the lasagne to settle for 10 minutes before serving.