Slow-cooked pork shoulder and tomatoes, sherry & spices
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|900 g||Pork shoulder, diced|
|2||Onions, small, sliced|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|410 g||Canned tomatoes, sieved|
|1 pinch||Chilli powder|
|2 Tbsp||Wine vinegar|
|½ cup||Dry sherry|
|1||Lemon, 4 strips of peel|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
Red Pepper Salsa
- Preheat oven to 150 degC.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron, oven-proof, flameproof casserole over a high heat.
- When very hot, add the diced pork and brown on all sides. Reduce the temperature to medium.
- Add the onions and garlic and continue cooking a further 5 minutes before sprinkling in the flour. Stir well.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except the red pepper salsa). Bring to a simmer and stir gently.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for up to 90 minutes or until the pork is quite tender.
- Remove lemon peel, then taste to check seasoning. Add a little more salt or pepper if necessary.
- To make the salsa, simply toss the sliced pepper together with olive oil and vinegar, leave for 5 minutes, then season.
- Sprinkle all over the pork and serve.