Mussels, shallots and baby potato salad with parsley and capers
( SERVES 4 )
- Scrub the mussels, then place in a large saucepan with a cup of water and bring to the boil.
- Let them steam open, then remove from the pan as soon as most have opened – about 3 minutes.
- Strain the cooking juices into a bowl and as the mussels cool, remove them from their shells.
- Remove the beard, the foot and the tough little round muscle that attaches the mussel to its shell.
- Discard these pieces and place the whole mussels in the reserved juices to keep moist until ready to assemble the salad.
- Cut the shallots into 2-3 pieces, then toss in the oil in an oven dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC, then place the shallots in the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes until they are golden and soft.
- Steam the potatoes until tender. Make the dressing by putting the lemon juice, zest, oil and mustard in a jar and giving it a good shake.
- Add the capers, parsley and enough salt and pepper to taste. Any leftover dressing will keep for 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the salad, mix the mussels, shallots and potatoes on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with dressing and decorate with a few reserved mussel shells and sprigs of parsley or coriander.