Brown sugar coffee syrup cakes
( SERVES 10 )
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|2 tsp||Instant coffee, (or 1 short expresso)|
|2 cups||Self raising flour|
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease dariole moulds or use muffin tins.
- Cream the butter (soft) and sugar until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Fold through the espresso (if using instant powder dissolve with the water(boiling)), then the flour a quarter of a cup at a time.
- Spoon the mix into the moulds and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer withdraws clean.
- Combine the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil for 5 minutes. With a skewer, poke a few holes in each cake then spoon a little syrup over.
- Sift the icing sugar. Mix the butter and espresso together with enough boiling water to make a slurry.
- Add to the icing sugar and stir. Continue adding enough boiling water until a thin icing consistency is achieved.
- Spoon over the cooled cakes.