Classic Anzac biscuits
( MAKES 36 )
To measure the golden syrup, first dip the measuring spoon in boiling water, so that the syrup will slide off easily. Erratic measuring of the syrup is the main cause of problems in making Anzac biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Gently heat the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan until the butter melts. Pour the boiling water into a cup and dissolve the soda. Mix the flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut together in a large bowl.
- Add the soda and water to the saucepan of hot butter and syrup and immediately pour the foaming mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover two baking trays with baking paper, or wipe with butter and dust with flour. Place heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the prepared trays, leaving room for spreading.
- Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes until the biscuits have melted flat and baked to a rich brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave the biscuits to harden for a few minutes before lifting with a spatula.
- Place in a single layer on a rack to finish cooling. Makes about 3 dozen.