- Preheat oven to 150C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Melt the chocolate (chopped) and butter (chopped) in a bowl over gently simmering water. Stir until smooth and keep warm.
- Using an electric mixer. Beat the yolks with the first measure of sugar until thick and pale.
- Sift the cocoa and add to the almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually add the sugar, whisking until it has dissolved.
- Fold the warm chocolate mixture into the yolks, then stir in the cocoa and almonds. Fold in the egg whites and spoon mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Cover with a piece of greased foil.
- Place in a roasting dish and pour boiling water to reach half way up the sides of the tin. Bake for 1½ hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the water, cool then refrigerate until needed. Use a hot knife to slice.