Fried eggs with fresh baked beans and harissa
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
When you've a little more time on your hands, try this fresh baked beans with harissa - a hearty breakfast.
|150 g||Bacon, rind removed and roughly chopped|
|40 ml||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, brown, medium, peeled and roughly chopped|
|½||Carrot, small, peeled and chopped|
|½ stick||Celery, chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, peeled and sliced|
|2 tsp||Sweet smoked paprika|
|2 pinches||Chilli flakes|
|1 tsp||Fresh thyme, chopped|
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes, 400g|
|1 can||Butter beans, 400g, drained and rinsed|
|30 ml||Canola oil|
|8||Eggs, large, free-range|
|8 slices||Ciabatta bread, toasted|
|1||Barbecue sauce, optional|
- Heat oven to 200C. Place bacon and olive oil into a medium-sized heavy based saucepan and cook over a medium heat until bacon starts to crisp up.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook gently, without letting them colour, for 6 minutes, reducing heat if necessary.
- Add paprika, chilli, thyme and sugar and cook for 30 seconds before adding canned tomatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes before adding beans and water.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes and season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat canola oil in a large heavy-based oven-proof frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Carefully crack eggs into the hot oil, then place pan into the oven for 2 minutes. Remove eggs from oven and set aside.
- Divide toast between 4 plates, top with beans, eggs and a generous drizzle of harissa over each plate. Finish with a little barbecue sauce if desired and serve immediately.
- Place chilli, cumin, caraway and garlic into a food processor and blend to a paste.
- Add capsicums and blend until smooth.
- Add tomato paste, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika and olive oil, blend together and season to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator covered with a little olive oil.