Sweet Pickled Onions
( SERVES 2 )
Pickled onions can be made at any time of the year providing small onions are available.
- Peel onions in a sink of cold water. Place onions in a bowl and cover with the boiling water and salt, stirring to dissolve salt.
- Stand overnight or for several hours. Drain and rinse well in cold water.
- In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, chillies and mustard seeds.
- Cover and boil for five minutes. Add onions and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Pack onions into hot sterilised jars, cover with hot liquid and seal.
- Makes about 1.5 litres.