Italian beef stew with creamy polenta
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 kg||Beef steak, cut in 2cm cubes|
|2 pieces||Smokey bacon, diced|
|2||Celery stalks, sliced|
|4 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|2||Carrots, peeled and sliced|
|50 g||Dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup water|
|2 stalks||Fresh rosemary|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|12||Baby onions, peeled|
|¼ cup||Fresh parsley|
|¼ cup||Fresh basil|
- Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a large pot or one that can be transferred to oven.
- Brown the beef in batches until sides are sealed. Remove and set aside.
- Add bacon, onion, garlic, celery, onion and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add beef, mushrooms and water, rosemary, wine, tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Cover and place in oven for 1 hour. Add baby onions and continue to cook for 40 minutes, or until beef is tender.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped basil and parsley. Serve with creamy polenta.
- For the polenta, bring the water to a rapid boil, create a whirlpool and pour polenta in a steady stream. This will eliminate lumps.
- Reduce heat and stir continuously for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream, parmesan and butter. Season with pepper and salt.