Pear Strudel with Aged Cheddar
|3||Pears, large, peeled, cored and sliced|
|50 g||Aged cheddar cheese|
- To make the filling: melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan. Saute the pears on low, until softened.
- Add the sugar and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the craisins and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Thinly slice the cheese. Combine the ingredients for the breadcrumb mixture.
- Layer 2 sheets of filo on a flat surface. Brush lightly with the melted butter and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Continue layering 2 sheets of filo on top, brushing with butter and sprinkling with crumbs, three more times.
- Spoon the pears over the pastry leaving about 2cm free at the ends and sides.
- Top with the cheese. Fold in the ends then roll up Swiss-roll fashion.
- Place seam-side down on the baking tray. Brush with butter and bake for about 30 minutes at 180 degC, until golden.
- Cool slightly before slicing and serving. Dust with icing sugar, if preferred.
- Great served with vanilla icecream.