( SERVES 10 )
Prepare everything ahead and refrigerate, but bring back to room temperature before serving.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Roast the pepper and onion wedges until soft and mellow (about 25 minutes). Keep aside.
- To prepare the beetroot, boil in water for about 40 minutes until tender, then drain, allow to cool and remove the skins. Cut into rough chunks.
- To prepare the carrots, add a pinch of sugar and cook in salted water for about 10 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash the tomatoes well and cut into neat chunks. Make the dressing by mixing everything together in a small screw-top jar, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the vegetables on a large white platter, and drizzle over the dressing. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves and serve at room temperature.