Photo by Doug Sherring
This is a true emulsion sauce.
- Separate an egg yolk into a bowl and add 1 tsp of lemon juice (or white wine vinegar) and salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg yolk until it thickens and aerates.
- Now, very gradually, take one cup of olive oil, add about 1 tsp of oil and whisk together. Keep adding a little more each time until the mayonnaise starts to thicken, or emulsify.
- Once you have achieved this, add the oil in bigger amounts making sure it is completely incorporated before adding further.
- If it gets too thick, add a few drops of lemon juice or hot water to "cut in back", then continue to add the oil.