( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Place the butter and leeks in a large pot and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken, carrots, garlic, water and thyme.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour, then add the pearl barley and prunes.
- Continue to cook for 30 minutes or until the meat is almost falling from the bones.
- Remove from the heat, and let cool. Remove any fat that settles on the top.
- Remove the chicken with a perforated spoon and remove the meat from the bones.
- It will be so tender it will come away with a folk. Then remove the carrots and chop roughly.
- Return to the element and reheat slowly for 30 minutes.
- In the last five minutes add in spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper to taste.