Fish fillet sandwiches and homemade tartare sauce
|300 g||Fresh fish, such as hoki, gurnard or tarakihi, skinned|
|1 tsp||Italian herbs, dried|
|1 splash||Vegetable oil, for cooking|
|8 pieces||White bread, toasted|
- Slice the fish into 1cm-wide strips. Whisk the eggs and milk together, then season.
- Dust the fish in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg and milk, then roll each slice in the breadcrumbs with herbs.
- Repeat the process. Refrigerate the fish to help the crumbs stick to the fillets.
- To make the tartare sauce, stir all the chopped ingredients through the mayonnaise. Season to taste.
- Heat the frying pan and add the oil in a shallow layer.
- Cook the fish, turning once, for about 5 minutes, until they are brown and crispy. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- Spread the bread liberally with the tartare sauce. Add a layer of fish fingers and lettuce.