( SERVES 10 )
This loaf takes longer to cook than usual because it’s a generous serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180C on bake.
- Combine brown sugar and oil in a bowl, mix well until smooth.
- Stir in egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla essence and flour. Blend until moist.
- Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Turn half the batter into a greased and baking paper-lined 25 x15 x 8cm loaf pan.
- Combine butter and sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle half over the batter.
- Add remaining batter and -finish with a sprinkle of butter and sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out dry.
- Cool for 30 minutes, and then turn out onto rack. Cool before slicing.
If your oven is permanently on fan bake, cook at 160C. If the top colours to much before it is cooked through, place some foil loosely on top.