( SERVES 10 )
This loaf takes longer to cook than usual because it’s a generous serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC on bake.
- Combine brown sugar and oil in a bowl, mix well until smooth.
- Stir in egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla essence and flour. Blend until moist.
- Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Turn half the batter into a greased and baking paper-lined 25 x15 x 8cm loaf pan.
- Combine butter and sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle half over the batter.
- Add remaining batter and -finish with a sprinkle of butter and sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out dry.
- ool for 30 minutes, and then turn out onto rack. Cool before slicing.
TIP: If your oven is permanently on fan bake, cook at 160 degC. If the top colours to much before it is cooked through, place some foil loosely on top.•