Apple and date strudel
Photo by Babiche Martens
|2½ cups||Apples, chopped|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 cup||Dates, Puree (reserve to fold though whipped cream)|
- 1 cup dates soaked in 1 cup of boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and then puree.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Into a bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt, and add the sugar.
- Cut butter in cubes and rub into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add milk and combine to form a soft dough.
- In a bowl toss apples with lemon, half the sugar and half the cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 20 x 30cm rectangle. Cover with date puree, apples, sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll, and seal with a little water. Brush with a little extra butter, and roll in remaining sugar and cinnamon mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until crisp and brown.