Fig and ginger jam
Fig jam is a favourite in our household. This recipe uses whole figs, but they can be chopped up if you wish.
- Wash the figs and place in a saucepan with a cup of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir the sugar in. Slice the ginger thickly and add to the pan with the lemon juice.
- Return to the heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring the figs to the boil and boil rapidly for 10-15 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Once the jam has become syrupy, remove from the heat. Stand the hot sterilised jars (see main story) on a piece of newspaper on the kitchen bench to absorb any splashes.
- Divide the figs evenly between the jars using a slotted spoon to transfer them.
- Top up with syrup and screw on the tops tightly. Makes 4 x 350ml jars.